Mortgage Foreclosure Surpluses

Superior Court Seeks to Return Funds From Foreclosure Cases

Allen Superior Court is looking for former property owners who might be entitled to money following the foreclosure sale of their homes.

Superior Court has already facilitated the return of more than $1.7 million to former property owners or their heirs and has established a system that will hopefully make it possible to return even more.

During 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic caused a halt in jury trials and other proceedings, including mortgage foreclosures. Superior Court’s Civil Division staff took advantage of the opportunity to review past foreclosure cases, looking for surpluses owed to the original homeowners.

Superior Court has taken steps to reach out to those with a claim on the surplus funds.

•  A list of foreclosure cases with surplus funds is available by clicking here (updated May 22, 2023). The list includes case numbers, the amount of surplus funds being held and other information. The list will be updated regularly, as cases are added or resolved.

•  Individuals’ names will not be posted on the web page. Anyone with a past foreclosure case, or their heirs, can check the list for their case number. If they do not have that case number, it can be obtained by visiting and searching by name.

•  A designated email address, has been established to answer questions. Claims on a foreclosure surplus cannot be filed via the email address.

•  If someone believes they have a claim on a specific Sheriff’s Sale surplus, they should submit a letter to the Allen County Clerk of the Courts, establishing their claim on the funds. That letter must contain the original foreclosure case number. Letters should be sent to the Allen County Clerk of the Courts, 715 S. Calhoun St., Room 200A, Fort Wayne, IN 46802.

Claims submitted on surplus foreclosure funds will likely result in a court hearing.



715 S. Calhoun Street, Fort Wayne, IN 46802

Contact UsFollow Us